The Development Services also oversees building permitting and bylaw enforcement.
Building Inspection Services and Permits
The goal of the Building Inspection Department is to ensure the health, safety and protection of persons and property by confirming that buildings and their systems generally conform to relevant bylaws, the BC Building Code and other applicable standards.
The Building Inspection Division provides general information on the Building and Sign bylaws, the BC Building Code and other relevant standards. We can provide practical information on construction, plumbing, woodstove installation and other systems in buildings.
The Building Inspection Division reviews building plans, specifications and associated documents (engineers’ reports, truss plans, surveys etc.) to confirm compliance with the BC Building Code, Building Bylaw No. 2066 and other applicable standards. We issue building permits, and collect applicable securities and Development Cost Charges. Building and Plumbing Inspectors visit the site at scheduled points during construction to ensure that construction conforms to the approved plans and conditions of the building permit, plus the Building Code. You can download a Building Permit Application Package.
A Building Permit is required when you wish to:
- construct a new home;
- construct a new accessory building such as a garage or storage shed greater than 20 square metres (215 square feet) in size;
- construct a new accessory building greater than 55 square metres (592 square feet) within AF-1, RL-1, SH-1 or CR-1 zones;
- construct an addition to an existing building or manufactured home;
- construct a commercial, industrial or public use building;
- undertake any interior work such as partitions, etc.;
- construct a sundeck;
- enclose a porch or roof over a sundeck;
- construct a retaining wall more than 1.2 metres (4 feet) in height;
- move a building;
- locate a manufactured home;
- demolish a building;
- change of occupancy or use of a building or part thereof.
NOTE: A detached accessory building less than 10 m2 (107 sq ft) and 4.5 m (14 ft 9 in) in height and built on properties containing a single family dwelling is exempt from requiring a building permit, but must still meet setback requirements specified in the Zoning Bylaw.
Building Inspector’s Office
Tuesdays and Thursdays 11:00 – 12 noon
If you require a building inspection contact 1-877-377-8673 and ask for Building Inspection.