Council highlights provide a summary of key decisions made by Council during regularly scheduled meetings. Complete agenda packages and meeting minutes can be found here.
• Council approved awarding a contract to Peter Truch, P. Eng for Traffic Engineering Services to complete a review and a conceptual plan on active modes connections for Park Drive, Clearwater Village Road and Old North Thompson Highway Road along Dutch Lake Beach and area.
• Council directed Administration to research and draft a bylaw with respect to the ban of single-use plastic bags in the District of Clearwater. This was an initiative of Junior Council who conducted a survey to gather public feedback. The draft bylaw is scheduled to be presented to Council in the fall.
• Council approved moving forward to complete a Road Maintenance Strategy to address the entire road network for the District. The review will include cost estimates for rehabilitation strategies, identification of schedules for rehabilitation and budgets for the entire road network and adjustments to schedules based on budget constraints, potential development and other external factors. The District will apply for matching funds for an Infrastructure planning grant of $15,000.
• Council voted in favour of making Dutch Lake Beach a dog free area effective June 30, 2019. Council is aware of the need for alternatives for dog owners to take their dogs to places with water access.
• Council accepted the updated 2018 Statements of Financial Information as presented. The statements will be posted to the District website for public information.
• Council adopted the revised Terms of Reference for the Forestry Working Group by adding representation from Gilbert Smith Forest Products, West Fraser Timber Co. and Interfor Corporation – Adams Lake.
• Council appointed the following members to the Trails Task Force Committee for a further two-year term: Darren Coates, Sabine Cooperman, Scott Lindeburgh, Heather MacLennan, Ron Van der Zwarn.
• Council approved an increase to taxi rates to Flag @ $3.25 and $2.40 per km which is in line with the rest of BC.
• Council adopted Bylaw No. 213, 2019 Business Licensing and Regulation Amendment with respect to cannabis retail stores.
• Council adopted Bylaw No. 214, 2019 Development Procedures Amendment with respect to including Cannabis Retail Licence applications.
• Council voted in favour of providing a letter in support to the Ministry of Advanced Education in support of Yellowhead Community Services application to obtain grant funding through the Community Workforce Response Program for employment assistance services, skills training and financial supports for participants. This is in preparation for support as a result of the Canfor mill closure.
• Council directed Administration to register for a meeting with Minister Robinson at the UBCM Convention regarding the Asset Management Program and discussion of removing the propter taxation cap for the industrial properties for the satellite site in Vavenby.
• Council directed Administration to schedule a meeting with Staff of the Agriculture Land Commission at the UBCM Convention regarding secondary dwellings.
• Council approved the purchase of the 2019-2020 SILGA membership dues.
The next Regular Council meeting is scheduled to be held Tuesday, July 9, 2019 at 2 p.m.