Joint statement on B.C.’s COVID-19 response, latest updates
Adrian Dix, Minister of Health, and Dr. Bonnie Henry, B.C.’s provincial health officer, have issued the following joint statement regarding updates on the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) response in British Columbia. Read the full statement here.
– seven new cases, total of 2,790 cases in British Columbia.
– 178 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, 2,444 people who tested positive have recovered.
– Of the total COVID-19 cases, 11 individuals are hospitalized, six in intensive care. The remaining people with COVID-19 are recovering at home in self-isolation.
– Since the start of the pandemic, there have been 952 cases of COVID-19 in the Vancouver Coastal Health region,
* 1,446 in the Fraser Health region,
* 130 in the Island Health region,
* 197 in the Interior Health region, and
* 65 in the Northern Health region.
– no new COVID-19 related deaths for a total of 168 deaths in British Columbia.
– no new health-care facility outbreaks and no new community outbreaks
– We’ve recently been made aware of some serious allegations of racist activities within one or more hospital emergency departments in B.C. An investigation has been launched, and we are committed to work on next steps required to ensure everyone in our health-care system receives respectful and culturally safe care.
– There is no place in our province for racism of any kind. Not on our streets, at work, at school and not in our health-care system.
– Our province has worked together to respond to COVID-19 as one, and the benefit is clear. We have said we must be 100% committed to flattening the COVID-19 curve, and we must do the same when it comes to addressing racism.
– On June 21, as we honour Canada’s Indigenous peoples and celebrate National Indigenous Peoples Day, as well as Father’s Day, let’s use this same momentum to stand against intolerance. Let’s celebrate the incredible diversity within our province and how this enriches us all.
– If you choose to come to together with loved ones and friends, take the necessary precautions to do so safely, with kindness, compassion and tolerance.