Economic Development Opportunities Workshop: Exploring Opportunities in the Value Added and Residual Fibre Sector sponsored by the District of Clearwater Forestry Working Group
August 21, 2019 | 5:30 pm (dinner provided) to 9pm | Dutch Lake Community Centre, Clearwater
There are opportunities for new businesses and jobs in the value-added forest sector! The District of Clearwater Forestry Working Group* believes that by working together, we can realize a bright future for communities within the North Thompson Valley.
The purpose of this workshop is to bring people together – industry experts, Provincial government staff, current forest sector business owners and employees, and residents of the North Thompson Valley – to explore the opportunities for new businesses within our Valley, based on residual forest fibre. Come learn about what opportunities exist and help us brainstorm how we can work together to build a more diverse and locally based forest sector economy for our communities.
The workshop is sponsored by the District of Clearwater Forestry Working Group*.
- Provide information and resources on the value added and residual fibre sector.
- Brainstorm and explore opportunities for new value-added business opportunities in the North Thompson Valley
- Prioritize those ideas so we know what to start working on first! (note there will be a follow-up workshop in September 2019)
|5:15 – 5:30||Sign In & Dinner (provided)|
|5:30 – 5:45||Welcome & Session Opening|
|5:45 – 7:00||What are the possibilities?
Learning about opportunities for the Value-Added Sector in the North Thompson Valley:
Short presentations on BC’s Forest tenure system, types of residual fibre available, what’s happening to build a value-added sector in other parts of BC…
(speakers to be confirmed)
|7:00 – 8:45||Brainstorming and Developing our Opportunities
How can we work together to build a thriving value-added sector in the North Thompson Valley?
· Brainstorming ideas to build a local value-added sector
· Breakout group conversations to develop those ideas
|8:45 – 9:00||Wrap-Up & Next Steps|
RSVP by August 16, 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org to ensure there is enough food!!
*The Forestry Working Group’s goals are to:
- Enhance sustainable and stable employment ie: Forestry sector
- Mitigate the impact on local employment by centralization
- Strive for more influence on forest related decisions which affect the local community
- Develop a Forestry Vision statement for the North Thompson
- Promote Education and Training in Forest Sector
- Encourage sustainable Forest Practices i.e. Silviculture, Fuel Management, etc