I Want To

Property Taxes

Property Tax Payment Options

Pay your property taxes and apply for the Home Owner Grant before the first business day in July every year to avoid a penalty.

Internet or telephone banking

Search for “Clearwater” (taxes) as a payee and use your roll number found on your tax notice as the account number (tip: add zeros to the beginning of the number if your bank requires more digits).

Drop your payment in our drop box

Place your cheque and/or Home Owner Grant application in an envelope and deposit it in the drop box located at the exterior door several feet to the right of our main entrance. Payments via cheque or money order can be left in the drop box. Remember to write your tax roll number on your cheque.

By mail
  • Send a payment and the Home Owner Grant application (if applicable) to the District of Clearwater, Attention: Finance at PO Box 157, Clearwater, BC, V0E 1N0.
  • Write the roll number on your cheque and ensure that the cheque is payable to the District of Clearwater.
  • Post-dated cheques are accepted.
  • Mail lost or delayed by the post office will be assessed with a penalty if late, as the postmark will not be considered as the date of payment.
  • Mail in a post-dated cheque early to avoid penalties.
  • In the event of a postal disruption, please utilize alternative payment methods to ensure that payment is received by the due date.
In person at the District Office
  • Methods of payment accepted are:
    • cash
    • debit card
    • money order,
    • post-dated cheque payable to District of Clearwater
  • Our hours of operation are 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, Monday to Friday (excluding statutory holidays)
At your financial institution

Use your original current tax notice to make payment at your local financial institution as some will not accept reprints.

Please note: Most banks are no longer accepting the Home Owner Grant application.
The District of Clearwater is not responsible for errors made by financial institutions. Follow up with your financial institution to find out more.

Your Mortgagor company pays your taxes
  • If it is your Mortgage company’s intent to pay your property tax, the Home Owner Grant application (if applicable) must still be completed and returned to the District of Clearwater by the due date.
  • Please ensure that your mortgage provider is aware whether or not you are claiming the grant each year.
  • The District of Clearwater is not responsible for errors made by mortgage providers.

Please note: The District does not accept credit card payments. If you are unable to pay your property taxes, you should still claim your Home Owner Grant prior to the due date to avoid penalties. For more information on Property taxes, please visit the BC Government website.

Claim your Homeowner Grant

The Provincial Home Owner Grant program helps to reduce the amount of residential property taxes that homeowners pay on their primary residence.

If you qualify for the Home Owner Grant (HOG), you must apply each year to receive it. Only one qualifying owner can claim a grant for a property each year.

Qualifications for the Home Owner Grant

The Province of BC sets out the qualifications for the home owner grant. If you are the registered owner of the property, a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada, live in BC, and occupy the residence as your principal residence then you may qualify as a homeowner who is:

  • Under 65 years of age
  • A senior (age 65 or older in the calendar year)
  • A War Veteran
  • A person with disabilities or a person living with a spouse or relative with disabilities
  • A spouse or relative of a deceased owner
How to claim your Home Owner Grant

You can apply for your Home Owner Grant online, use the “apply for your grant” button above. You will need to know your roll number and access code; both are located on the front of your property tax notice. After clicking submit, wait for the confirmation page and print or save the confirmation page as proof the application has been submitted.

Alternatively, you can apply by completing the home owner grant application on the back of your property tax notice and returning it to the District of Clearwater.

Important: To avoid penalties, owners are required to apply annually for the home owner grant prior to the property tax due date. The home owner grant is a form of payment and is subject to the property tax due date. Submit the grant even if you are not making a payment at that time, or your mortgage company pays your property taxes on your behalf.

Who can apply on behalf of a registered owner?

Anyone with owner permission can apply on their behalf.

Forgot to claim last year’s grant?

The home owner grant may be available retroactively if you qualified last year and didn’t apply.

For instructions on how to apply and a list of original documentation that you must provide, please visit the Retroactive Home Owner Grant section of the Province of BC’s website.

For Further Information

Contact the Province of British Columbia, Home Owner Grant Program by visiting the BC Home Owner Grant Program website.

eHOG Application

Property Tax Deferment

Once you receive your property tax notice, you may be able to apply to the Province of BC for a low interest loan to pay the current year property taxes on your principal residence. There are two programs you may qualify for:

  • Regular Program – you may qualify for this program if you’re:
    • 55 or older during the current year or
    • a surviving spouse of any age or
    • a person with disabilities
  • Families with Children Program – you may qualify for this program if you’re a parent, stepparent or financially supporting a child.

You can apply to defer a portion or all of your residential or residential and farm property taxes after the home owner grant is deducted. If you qualify for the home owner grant, you must apply for it separately each year.

All penalties, interest, previous year property taxes, and local services taxes must be paid to the municipal tax collector as these are not eligible for deferment.

If your application is approved, the Province pays the current year unpaid property taxes on your behalf.

You must apply to renew your agreement each year if you want the Province to continue to pay your property taxes on your behalf. The renewal process is not automatic.

How to apply

Before you apply, it’s important to make sure:

  • you qualify for tax deferment
  • all changes to your property title have been completed. If your application is approved, a restrictive lien will be registered against your property and will remain until you repay the loan in full.

All penalties, interest, previous year property taxes, and local services taxes must be paid to the municipal tax collector as these are not eligible for deferment.

Choose and fill out the application for the program that applies to you
  1. Apply for regular Program
    • You must include supporting documentation with your application if you are:
      • applying on behalf of the registered owner
      • applying as a surviving spouse
      • applying as a person with disabilities
  2. Apply for Families with Children Program
    • You must include supporting documentation with your application if you are:
      • applying on behalf of the registered owner
      • applying as a parent or stepparent of a person with disabilities

Return the completed application, applicable home owner grant and applicable local services tax payment by mail or in person to the District Office by the property tax due date.

District of Clearwater
209 Dutch Lake Road
PO Box 157
Clearwater, BC V0E 1N0

The District of Clearwater will complete the collector portion and forward the application/agreement to the Tax Deferment Office in Victoria.

Attention: Due to the large volume of applications, it may take several months for the Tax Deferment Office to confirm the application status.

How to renew

The Province will send you a renewal notice along with a statement of your loan account before the end of May. Only these authorized forms will be accepted for renewal.

You must make sure you continue to qualify for the tax deferment program before you submit your renewal:

If you will be selling your home or refinancing, please contact the Province of British Columbia Property Tax Deferment office before you submit your renewal application.

Telephone: 250 356-8121 (Victoria)
Alternate Telephone: 1 888 355-2700 (Toll-free in B.C.)
Email: TaxDeferment@gov.bc.ca

Late Payment Penalty

You’ll be charged a late payment penalty if:

  • you apply after the property tax due date
  • your application is declined and it’s past the property tax due date
  • you sell your home before the taxes are paid on your behalf
  • you cancel or withdraw your application for any reason after the tax due date and it’s before the taxes are paid on your behalf
Adding a spouse to property tax deferment

If the home owner with an existing Property Tax Deferment Agreement wishes to add a spouse on title, the owner must complete the FIN54 Application and Amending Agreement to continue deferring property taxes. This application must be mailed to the Ministry of Finance directly at
PO Box 9446, Stn Prov Govt, Victoria, BC V7W 9V6.

Visit the Province of British Columbia’s Tax Deferment website to view the current Deferment Interest Rates.

Understanding Property Taxes

BC Assessment

BC Assessment is an independent, provincial crown corporation, accountable to the Government of BC. Their responsibility is to determine the market value of land and improvements and enter the values on the Assessment Roll.

To determine what a property would sell for, an assessor takes into account any factors that might affect the property’s value including:

  • age
  • condition
  • location
  • replacement cost
  • rental income
  • size
  • shape
  • sales of comparable properties in the area
  • topography

BC Assessment’s e-Value Assessments Comparison application allows you to view and compare current assessments.

You cannot appeal your taxes, but you can appeal your assessment. Contact BC Assessment at 1-866-825-8322 or visit their website.

Click on the links below for information on better understand the relationship between property assessments and property taxes.

Click on the link below to view an interactive map that displays market trends across the Province.

Property Tax Rates
Local Services Taxes

Sewer Parcel: Sewer Parcel Tax Levy Bylaw No. 117
The annual charge for land / property owners within the District of Clearwater’s sewer system is $40 per year.

Water Parcel: Water Service Parcel Tax Levy Bylaw No. 116
The annual charge for land / property owners within the District of Clearwater’s water system is $100 per year.

Municipal Tax Rate
  • The municipal property tax rate is set by the District of Clearwater in correspondence to the tax year’s municipal budget
  • The revenue from these taxes is used for public services such as fire protection, street lighting, road and drainage maintenance, administration, as well as operating parks and recreational facilities.
  • To learn more about the Budget and where your property tax money is going, view the 5-Year Financial Plan.
School Tax Rate

Click here for Frequently Asked School Tax Questions or contact the BC Ministry of Finance at 1-800-663-7867 or 250-356-0907.

Regional District Tax Rate

For information, please visit the Thomson-Nicola Regional District’s (TNRD) website at www.tnrd.ca or phone the TNRD at 250-377-8673 or 1-877-377-8673.

Hospital Tax Rate

The Hospital tax rate is set by the Thompson Regional Hospital District (TRHD). For details, please contact the Thomson-Nicola Regional District at 250-377-8673.

Tax Sale – Frequently Asked Questions

What information can be released about tax sale properties?

Besides any information that would normally be available to the public, a copy of the advertisement is available by e-mail or over-the-counter to anyone on request.

How is the upset price calculated?

The upset price is calculated by adding together the outstanding delinquent plus interest, the outstanding arrears plus interest, the outstanding current plus penalty, 5% of the sum of the foregoing and land title fees.

Is the tax sale in each municipality held at the same time, same date and same place?

Yes. The Local Government Act requires that the tax sale be held at 10:00 am on the last Monday in September in the Council Chambers of each municipality.

Who is the Auctioneer?

The tax collector acts as the auctioneer. The tax collector may delegate this responsibility to someone else.

Do tax sale properties have to be advertised in the newspaper?

Yes. The Local Government Act requires that notice of the time and place of the tax sale and the description and street address of the properties subject to tax sale be published in at least 2 issues of a newspaper.

What if someone wants to know if a tax sale property can be subdivided, or built on if vacant, or how old the house is, or if there is a BC Hydro easement, or if the property is in the flood plain, etc.?

All questions regarding the property must be investigated by the person making the inquiry to the applicable municipal department (e.g. planning, development, etc.) or provincial ministry, land titles or other agencies. The municipality makes no representation concerning tax sale properties. “caveat emptor – let the buyer beware”.

If Someone wants to bid on more than one property at the tax sale, do they need a certified cheque for each property?

Yes. Other payment options are cash or a letter of credit from their bank.

Who pays the property taxes during the redemption period?

The current owner is responsible to pay the taxes during the redemption period. However, if the owner does not pay the taxes, the purchaser may pay the taxes in order to avoid the penalty if the property is not redeemed. The owner must reimburse the purchaser for any taxes paid plus interest to redeem the property.

If the property is redeemed, is interest paid on the amount paid by the purchaser?

Yes. Interest is paid at the rate used to calculate arrears/delinquent interest. The rate is set by the province of BC every 4 months.

What happens if a property is not redeemed and there is a mortgage?

The property is then conveyed to the purchaser free and clear of any mortgages, charges, liens, etc. except for charges, etc. imposed by the provincial or federal governments.

What is the property transfer tax?

The property transfer tax is a tax charged by the Province of BC on the transfer of real property. The tax is based on the fair market value of the property. The rate of tax is:

  • 1% on the first $200,000,
  • 2% on the portion of the fair market value greater than $200,000 and up to and including $2,000,000, and
  • 3% on the portion of the fair market value greater than $2,000,000.