I Want To

Construction Camps Zoning Allowance

The District is receiving increasing inquiries about temporary RV camps for workers. With the correct zoning and at least a 10 acre minimum lot area, a temporary construction camp can be permitted (setbacks also apply). The following is outlined in the Zoning Bylaw related to Construction Camps:

Construction Camps:

Notwithstanding other provisions of this Bylaw, construction camps providing boarding and lodging facilities for employees or contractors working on major construction projects such as highways, power projects, transmission and utility lines, and mines are permitted within the RL-1, C-2, I-2, I-3, P-1, and P-2 Zones provided that:

  1. the minimum lot area is 4 hectares (10 acres);
  2. the construction camp complies with any Provincial statute or regulation in effect, including the Industrial Camps Regulation;
  3. the construction camp is set back a minimum of 50 metres from any lot zoned other than RL-1, C-2, I-2, I-3, P-1, and P-2;
  4. the duration of use does not exceed the construction period; and
  5. upon closure, the construction camp land is remediated to its former condition.

They would have to comply to Interior Health Authotity for water and septic and the BC Building Code based on the composition of they living quarters – these would be the regulatory permitting.  So if someone owns land that does not meet the above criteria, they would have to apply for a Temporary Use Permit.

Temporary Use Permits (TUP):

Council can consider issuance of a TUP if the conditions in section 6.1 of the Official Community Plan are met as follows:

The entire District of Clearwater is hereby designated an area where Council may consider the issuance of Temporary Use Permits pursuant to s.921 of the Local Government Act.

 6.1 Issuance of Temporary Use Permits

A Temporary Use Permit may allow a use not permitted by the Zoning Bylaw on a temporary basis and specify conditions under which the temporary use may be carried on. Council may consider issuance of a Temporary Use Permit where the proposed use:

  1. is compatible with surrounding land uses and does not have adverse effects on neighbouring land owners;
  2. is adequately serviced with a supply of potable water and means of sewage disposal;
  3. will not create an amount of traffic that will adversely affect the natural environment or character of the area;
  4. will not negatively affect the environment;
  5. has been approved by the Agricultural Land Commission if the land is within the Agricultural Land Reserve (ALR);
  6. does not require a significant amount of capital investment in the location; and
  7. complies with all conditions and requirements as may be further specified by the District of Clearwater.

Based on the Official Community Plan (OCP) a TUP can be considered by resolution rather than Bylaw which means it would not require a Public Hearing.

The process would require at least 2 Council meetings – 1 to consider the matter and authorize neighbourhood notification (neighbours have an opportunity to provide input). If Council felt it was something to pursue, a mailout and an advertisement for the notice is posted in the local newspaper. The public can submit written submissions but there is no public hearing. The second meeting of Council would allow Council to pass a resolution after considering written submissions.

For further information please contact Leslie Groulx, CAO at lgroulx@docbc.ca or by calling 250-674-2257.