Joint statement on B.C.’s COVID-19 response, latest updates
Adrian Dix, Minister of Health, and Dr. Bonnie Henry, B.C.’s provincial health officer, have issued the following joint statement regarding updates on the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) response in British Columbia. Read full statement here.
– 21 new cases, including two epi-linked cases for a total of 3,149 cases in British Columbia.
– 207 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, 2,753 people have recovered, 14 individuals are hospitalized, five in intensive care and the remaining people with COVID-19 are recovering at home in self-isolation.
– Since the start of the pandemic, there have been
* 1,023 cases of COVID-19 in the Vancouver Coastal Health region,
* 1,659 in the Fraser Health region,
* 135 in the Island Health region,
* 216 in the Interior Health region,
* 65 in the Northern Health region and
* 51 cases of people who reside outside of Canada.
– no new COVID-19 related deaths, total of 189 deaths in British Columbia
– no new health-care facility outbreaks and there is one active community outbreak, in addition to several community exposure events.
– We are concerned about the increase in new cases in recent days as COVID-19 continues to silently circulate in our communities.
– While early on, many of our long-term care and assisted living facilities were impacted, most of the new cases are in the broader community.
– Here in British Columbia, as we spend more time with others, we need to find our balance with COVID-19. We need to minimize the number of cases, manage new cases as they emerge and modify our activities accordingly.
– To do this, we all have to do our part by continuing to use our layers of protection and following our rules for safe social interactions.
– No one wants to get sick with COVID-19, nor do we want to inadvertently pass it onto others. While the symptoms can be mild, it is a complex illness that has serious consequences.
– Let’s enjoy the summer safely and continue to do all we can to protect our neighbours, our friends and our loved ones.