Adrian Dix, Minister of Health, and Dr. Bonnie Henry, B.C.’s provincial health officer, have issued the following joint statement today:
- 78 new cases since yesterday, total of 617 cases in British Columbia- 145 new cases since yesterday morning
- Every health region in British Columbia has patients with COVID-19:
- 330 are in the Vancouver Coastal Health region,
- 194 are in the Fraser Health region,
- 44 are in the Vancouver Island Health region,
- 41 are in the Interior Health region and
- 8 are in the Northern Heath region.
- 13 deaths from COVID-19 in British Columbia
- numbers show circulation and risk of COVID-19 throughout BC and no community or individual is immune
- the virus can spread with minimal symptoms and physical distancing is so critically important
- a self-assessment app for COVID-19 symptoms questions was launched
Interior Health has also started to release a daily update, read the full statement here.
- All British Columbians should be on heightened alert about stopping the spread of COVID-19 in our communities. We are in a provincial state of emergency.
- The Provincial Health Officer has made clear orders putting a halt to public gatherings; closing restaurants to all but take-out orders and delivery; and closing personal service establishments such as barbershops, salons, nail estheticians, health spas, massage parlours and tattoo shops.
- All health-care facilities across IH and the province have essential visitors only limitations in place.
- While spending time outdoors is important, people still need to stay away from groups in any environment, to prevent bringing the virus into their homes.
- The time is now – the actions we take today will benefit us two weeks and two months from now.