The Building Inspection Division reviews building plans, specifications and associated documents (engineers’ reports, truss plans, surveys etc.) to confirm compliance with the Building Regulations Bylaw No. 129, 2014 and other applicable standards. We issue building permits, and collect applicable securities and Development Cost Charges. Building and Plumbing Inspectors visit the site at scheduled points during construction to ensure that construction conforms to the approved plans and conditions of the building permit, plus the Building Code. You can download a Building Permit Application Package.
A Building Permit is required when you wish to:
- construct a new home;
- construct a new accessory building such as a garage or storage shed greater than 20 square metres (215 square feet) in size;
- construct a new accessory building greater than 55 square metres (592 square feet) within AF-1, RL-1, SH-1 or CR-1 zones;
- construct an addition to an existing building or manufactured home;
- construct a commercial, industrial or public use building;
- undertake any interior work such as partitions, etc.;
- construct a sundeck;
- enclose a porch or roof over a sundeck;
- construct a retaining wall more than 1.2 metres (4 feet) in height;
- move a building;
- locate a manufactured home;
- demolish a building;
- change of occupancy or use of a building or part thereof
NOTE: A detached accessory building less than 10 m2 (107 sq ft) and 4.5 m (14 ft 9 in) in height and built on properties containing a single family dwelling is exempt from requiring a building permit, but must still meet setback requirements specified in the Zoning Bylaw.
Building Inspector’s Office
Tuesdays 11:00 – 12:00 noon (First come, first serve basis)
Thursdays by appointment only. Call 1.250.319.6253.
If you require a building inspection, contact 1.877.377.8673 and ask for Building Inspection.